There are chapters that cover everything from selecting running shoes and clothing, must-have gadgets and accessories, to running while pregnant, cross-training, injury prevention, and how to get the perfect race photo! Also in the book are some training information - how to do hill repeats, strength and mental training and nutrition. All these running information PLUS advice on how to balance family and work while keeping your sanity!
The number one thing that sets this book apart from the other running books I've read so far, is that it is written by running moms for running moms. Yes, mother runners, this can be our running bible. It's reassuring to know that what we're doing is normal. That there are other running moms out there who try to sneak in a tempo run, who only had 3 hours of sleep before a workout, who has to be home in time to prepare dinner. It somehow made me feel like we are superhuman -- because we can do it all and still be loving moms and wives. Are you a multi-tasking running mom and wife who is trying to balance it all? Then this book is for you!
What I love about the book is the succinct and understandable way it explains everything there is to know about running. This is a very comprehensive book for runners who are just starting out and want to learn the basics. I am not a beginner but still enjoyed this book immensely. Up to now, it lies on my bedside table for easy reference.
Valentine's Day is coming up and if I didn't get this book to review, I would have loved to receive it as a gift from my man. *hint, hint* hubbies!
There are two ways to get this book...
1. Check out their site (http://runlikeamotherbook.com/buy-it/), get a peek inside via google books and information on where you can purchase it for your wife, mom, sister, friend, or any running mom you know who may need this book.
2. Join my giveaway below. =)
The authors, Dimity and Sarah were kind enough to provide a giveaway copy of the book. One lucky blog reader will win this awesome read. Male runners, you are welcome to join as well. Like I said, it will make an awesome gift to the wifey or to any running mom you know.
Please note that this is open to U.S. and Canadian residents only. BUT, If you live abroad and want to have this shipped to a U.S. or Canada address of a relative or friend, then you are welcome to participate.
I will announce the winner this coming Sunday, Feb 6.
Please remember to leave a SEPARATE comment for EACH of the things below. 1 comment = 1 entry. I suggest you do everything specified below to increase your chances of winning. If you do all 12, that's 12 entries!
1. Must be a FOLLOWER of my blog. I'm doing this because it's my way of thanking you for being one! =) Click the Follow button located at my right sidebar. And let me know that you are following already by posting a comment here like, "I am a follower" . I am always happy to see new people following. = 1 entry
2. Visit the Run Like a Mother Store and let me know which running mom shirt you like the most = 1 entry
3. Follow me on Twitter (@HotlegsRunner) and leave a comment that you already do. = 1 entry
4. Follow the authors on Twitter (@sbsontherun AND @dimityontherun) and leave a comment that you already do. = 1 entry
5. Like the Hotlegs Runner on FACEBOOK, post something on my wall or comment on my post/status (anything), and leave a comment here that you already do. = 1 entry
6. Like Run Like a Mother on FACEBOOK, post on their wall saying Hotlegs Runner sent ya, leave a comment that lets me know you already do. = 1 entry
7. Post this giveaway on your blog, Twitter and/or Facebook linking back to here. Let me know when you've spread the word. Leave a comment for EACH. = 3 entries
Copy and paste for Twitter: Join the Run Like a Mother Book Giveaway by @HotlegsRunner - http://www.hotlegsrunner.com/2011/01/book-review-giveaway-run-like-mother.html
8. Add me to your blog roll. = 1 entry
9. Add Run Like a Mother's Blog to your blog roll. = 1 entry
10. Answer this: What is your best tip/advice to running moms so they can find the time and energy to workout?
Disclaimer: I did not pay for this book. They were sent to me and in exchange, I post an honest review of it. I was not compensated nor was I encouraged by the manufacturer to post a positive review. This review is based solely on my experience with this book.