"Some" Filipino New Year Practices:
1. Fireworks - They say that the loud noises drive away the bad spirits and bad luck of last years.
2. Keep windows open - To allow good spirits to enter the house.
3. Turn on all the lights - For good luck in all areas of the house.
4. Jump up and down - This was said to make you grow taller. Uh hello, it certainly didn't work for me!
5. Wear polka dot printed clothing - Signifies coins/money. And have coins inside your pockets and make it jingle at the stroke of midnight for good luck.
6. Have 12 different round and sweet fruits - Having it will bring luck and prosperity.
7. Pay off all debt and do not spend on New Years Day - Just so you won't have any debt in the coming year. And spending money on the first day of the year means that you are letting go of money which may cause you to have money problems for the whole year.
8. Run on the first day of the year - Do this and you will PR in all your races for the year.
And the list goes on....
Ok the last one I just made up. LOL! How I wish it was THAT easy! :p
Personally, I really don't believe in this but it's in our culture and still practiced by many. Uh hello...every friggin' year I jump up and down and it didn't work for me! I'm still small. LOL! But #7 sounds like a good/practical idea.
I was searching for fireworks display here in California and the nearest would be at the Disneyland Park. I guess, this new year will be a quiet one for us. What's important is we're all together. My parents and siblings are staying with us over the weekend and I started cooking our food yesterday. Will do more cooking and cleaning today. Busy day!
Gosh, I can't believe it's gonna be 2011 already tomorrow! Thank you 2010! It was an awesome year! But I believe 2011 will be 100 times better! I'm claiming it in Jesus' most powerful and mighty name!
Can you believe that a decade has passed since we we entered the millennium?! Wow!
May the next 10 years be the best 10 years for you and your family!
Happy New Year My Dear Bloggy Friends!!!