The Hotlegs Runner Saturday Musings | The Hotlegs Runner

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Saturday Musings

S is for Saturday, Safety, Smoothie, and Spartacus!

Lunch is ready and I'm waiting for my 2 Mikes to arrive (Mike is picking up Mikah from her SAT review class), which means, I have a few minutes to blog and share my thoughts on this fine Saturday morning.


Safety
I was doing my usual blog rounds yesterday and I came across Lesley's post regarding the runner who got  critically injured after she got hit by a bicycle in Dallas.  Sad news!  I pray that she is alright.  Made me recall, though.  When I started running, I used to wear both my earphones.  It was only some months ago when I learned to wear just one and tuck in the other in my shirt so I can still hear what's going on around me.  Also, I am taking this news as a sign to finally get my Road I.D.  I've been putting it off because...uhm...are you ready?..."I haven't decided on a quote to put under my info!"  Such a lame excuse!  Duh!

My friends say I should get the Elite (above) instead of the Sport since the latter tends to "stink up".  Is there any truth to that?  'Coz I'm liking the look (and price) of the Sport more.



Spartacus
So Mike and I started watching this series.  I find it really strange that they use the F, S, and B word in their dialogues.  Did those words even exist during the Roman times?  Hmmmm...*raises eyebrows*  We're still on the second episode and I haven't decided yet if I'm liking it or not.   I must say those gladiators are hot!  Hooray for eye candy!

Why hello there!
photo courtesy of www.endofshow.com/



Smoothie
Saturday is smoothie day, so I made this Wake-Up Smoothie from Eatingwell.com.   I replaced the Splenda with Stevia since it's a much better sugar substitute.   I like that it has silken tofu in it and it's only 157 calories per serving!

 Yum yum!

Wake Up Smoothie

        1 1/4 cups orange juice, preferably calcium-fortified
        1 banana
        1 1/4 cups frozen berries, such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and/or strawberries
        1/2 cup low-fat silken tofu, or low-fat plain yogurt
        1 tablespoon sugar, or Stevia (optional)

       
PREPARATION
    1.    Combine orange juice, banana, berries, tofu (or yogurt) and sugar (or Stevia), if using, in a blender; cover and blend until creamy. Serve immediately.

NUTRITION
Per serving: 157 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 19 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Fiber (16% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving


I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!  Happy runs everyone!  And remember...RUN SAFE!

  • Do you listen to music while running?
  • Do you own a Road I.D.?  If so, which kind do you have?
  • Is this Spartacus series any good?!




♥.•:*¨*:•.♥ FOLLOW ME: ♥.•:*¨*:•.♥






17 comments:

  1. I feel I run faster with music, maybe cause I'm occupied!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been running with one earbud lately, I saw a company on twitter, I think they were called one good earbud, which is supposed to be better sound quality in just one earbud (nothing to tuck) I think I may try one of them. I don't have a road id, guess I should. Never heard of or watched spartacus, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure which version of road id I have, but no stink issue with mine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a woman attacked 3 days ago on the trail i run on. so, i only wear 1 ear bud now...unless i am in a neighborhood.

    i really need to get a road i.d. thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Laura: likewise!

    @Kat: ok will check it out. sounds interesting! thanks for the tip =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you listen to music while running?

    No - But I want to try, wala lang akong IPOD... LLL!
    Do you own a Road I.D.? If so, which kind do you have?
    No - But want to have one... mahal lang! hehe!

    Is this Spartacus series any good?!
    No - Wala pa sa pinas... hehe!

    Miss you Julie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i want one. thanx for posting Julie. this reminds me to get hold of one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @argo: I don't think this series will ever come out there. Too gory and so much sex going on! seriously!

    @Katol: hey! thanks for passing by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Road ID! I don't have one cuz there isn't much need with me working out in a gym or at my house. Ha! My husband is a cyclist and it makes me feel better that someone could ID him if he gets injured or something. He says he doesn't even notice he's wearing it most of the time.

    I love your blog, by the way. I found you from SITS =]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, new follower :)I used to listen to music while running but don't anymore. I have the basic version of the road id...So important to have one, no matter what kind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ran into you by accident on the blog trail. Great blog. Look forward to following your training!

    —M

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Nikkolish: thanks for passing by =)

    @Keri: i think i'm gonna get that one too!

    @Mark: thank you! likewise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a sport and will be getting an elite. More expensive to get the lesser one and then have to buy another!!! Go Elite the first time. Julie - e-mail me at racingitoff at gmail.com and I'll send you a code I have for $2 off. Every little bit helps, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like you,I use only one earphone. It's the hook type so I have the right one positioned in the ear properly while I reverse the left side so I can't hear anything out of it. As far as the Road ID, I don't have one but I carry an old driver's license with some emergency information written on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I run with music when I'm alone, but I keep it low and stick to trails instead of the road. I need to get a road id!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I listen to lots of music on the longer runs, and when I'm not doing something specific with pace or form.

    My playlist from my last race is here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you listen to music while running?
    -nope. i enjoy listening to my surrounding, and my foot strikes (tama ba yun?). i believe it is also hazardous to run while listening to music.
    - for me, running is a get away from all the hustle & bustle of work, etc so i don't need another distraction during my ME time :)
    Do you own a Road I.D.?- yes,the original model (i don't know what it is called, but there.)
    Is this Spartacus series any good?!- i don't watch it :) hehehe

    i know HIMYM is good :) hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Show some love by commenting. Would love to hear your thoughts! Speechless? Well, at least make use of the smileys. Haha! ♥.•:*¨*:•.♥

best blogger tips
Related Posts with Thumbnails